Haute Arabia Tip: To burn those extra calories and maintain your vitality, stay active by going for a 30-minute walk, when? 2 hours after having Iftar to allow some time to digest your meal.
Haute Arabia Recipe: Shaykh Mahshi
This is a special dish. It’s the first dish my husband and I made together for our Shaykh’s visit to our first home. It’s a family tradition in my husband’s family – Shaykh Mahshi an appropriate name for our Shaykh’s visit! A dish mostly associated with Iraqi cuisine but eaten across the Arabian peninsula. It’s the perfect Ramadan meal, light, full of flavour and yet extremely healthy. Don’t forget we advise you always to read your salawat on our beloved Prophet salla allahu alayhi wa alihi wa sallam whilst cooking and make your intention that all the energy that those eating the prepared food use is devoted in ibadah ‘worship’ of Allah. This secret ingredient will grant in your food a flavour and baraka (blessing) you couldn’t achieve any other way!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 eggplants cut in half vertically leaving two open halves
- 2 full peppers, one yellow, one green for optimal presentation, cut the top of which you will use later as a lid!
- 1 1/2 cups minced lamb or beef
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup minced onions
- a squirt of fresh lemon
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomato juice or diluted tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- Clean eggplant and trim stems to about half an inch.
- Shallow fry eggplant until soft – we always use a high quality olive oil.
- Drain into a shallow baking pan or baking dish.
- Fry chopped onions until yellow.
- Crush some garlic and add to the pan.
- Add meat, pine nuts, salt and pepper, lemon and some fresh chopped parsley – fry until meat is well done.
- Slit each eggplant lengthwise to form a pocket if you haven’t already.
- Gently press several spoonfulls of stuffing into the slits.
- Cover with the tomato sauce which you cook slightly with a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Sprinkle finally with salt, pepper and fresh parsley.
- Bake in the oven on medium heat for 20 mins.
Haute Arabia Recommends: Chamomile Face Wash