Haute Arabia Tip: Split your Iftar dish the right balanced way! Fill half of your plate with raw or cooked vegetables, ¼ with meat, chicken or fish and ¼ with rice, pasta, borghul or potatoes.
Haute Arabia Recipe: Moroccan Vegetable Soup (Chorba)
Serves: 6 about 2 cups each
ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 pound beef stew meat (such as chuck) or lamb stew meat (shoulder or leg), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or water
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, leaves included, thinly sliced
- Pinch of saffron threads (see Ingredient Note)
- 12 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, plus more leaves for garnish
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 large zucchini, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces angel hair pasta (capellini), broken into small pieces (about 1/2 cup), or orzo, preferably whole-wheat
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and turmeric; stir to coat. Add meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add broth (or water), tomatoes and their juice, turnips, carrots, celery and saffron. Tie parsley and cilantro sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the meat is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
2. Stir in zucchini and cook, covered, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add pasta and cook until soft, 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the type of pasta. Discard the parsley and cilantro sprigs. Season with salt (start with 1 teaspoon if you’re using beef broth; add more if you’re using water) and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley and/or cilantro leaves, if desired.
Haute Arabia Recommends: Palestyle Calligraphy Ring
The Saying ” Good Things come in small packages” holds true for the exclusive Palestyle collection of Calligraphy Rings. This bold statement of elegance and culture is dressed in the finest trimming of Gold and Diamond accents and is sure to spark conversation. Available in two sizes of 3cm and 6cm diameter, clientele can select from the following four design translations: I am Palestinian, Charming as the moon, Beyond Beauty, and Magic of your eyes .