Haute Arabia Tip: Feeling bloated after your Iftar? Don’t drink too much fluids with your meal, eat smaller quantities slowly and sip on a warm peppermint or fennel tea 2 hours after your meal.
Haute Arabia Recipe: Konafah
Knafeh, knafah, konafah, konafeh is a traditional dessert which is very popular in the Levant region of the Middle East and which is originally from Nablus, a prominent city in the West Bank of Palestine. Knafeh is popular in Lebanon, Syrian and extremely in Jordan and ubiquitous throughout the year but especially on special occasions such as graduations, engagement parties etc.
- 1 package of shredded fillo dough
- 1/2 pound of butter melted
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup minced pistachio
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- First step is to defrost the Fillo dough. Do this by shredding the fillo in a bowl continuously till completelly defrosted.
- Once this occurs, you start adding the butter while continuously shredding the dough. When this process is complete and the dough is shredded thoroughly, seperate the dough into two equal portions.
- In a well buttered pan, spread out the dough thoroughly, but do not compress. Once the dough is spread evenly, start preparing the ricotta cheese. Lay the cheese patties onto the prepared dough in the pan. Once the layer of ricotta cheese is completely covering the dough, lay the second half of the dough unto the cheese so that it is evenly distrubuted.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then place the pan in the middle for approxiametly 45 minutes. What you need to look for, is that the dough browns. Once achieved, you will need a larger pan in which you will flip the Knefeh so the the bottom is on top and vice versa. Bake again till the browning occurs on the adjacent side. Once browned on both sides, the Knafe is finished.
- The last step is to top the Knefeh with the sweet syrup, pine nuts, and pistachio.
Haute Arabia Recommends: The Weekender by Palestyle
Urban edgy, this handy tote is designed with two contrasting colors the body color and the trim/handle color, so you can simply be bold & classic or edgy & trendy in the same time.
The bag is decorated with a tassel that dangles a gold plated Arabic calligraphy charm, and is made from Italian Genuine Leather.