LONDON CHOCOLATE SHOW
Last weekend chocolate and fashion combined to make a match made in heaven at the Olympia National Hall when a world famous chocolate fashion show featured stunning couture outfits made and inspired by chocolate.
Over 15,000 people attended the UK Chocolate Show where demonstrations, hands-on workshops and fashions shows were created to help you enjoy every chocolate indulgence imaginable.
We were lucky enough to attend the UK’s biggest chocolate celebration and it was worth every minute! Everywhere you turned you found chocolate to feast your senses on! Chocolate to taste, chocolate to make and chocolate to wear! Our personal highlight was seeing this year’s magical chocolate fashion collection, ‘Once Upon A Time in the Land of Chocolate’, where models were adorned in the most unique and beautiful chocolate designs challenged you to look but not taste.
Other highlights of the event included:
- Paul Wayne-Gregory demonstrating the techniques behind the chocolate making process, from bean to- Celebrity chefs including Hideko Kawa of SweetArt Lab, Will Torrent, Willie Harcourt-Cooze, Paul A Young, Chris & Jeff Galvin, Tony Rodd and GBBO winner Edd Kimber showcased their patisserie and chocolate recipes live on the main stage.
- The world famous Chocolate Fashion Show was live on the catwalk each day at 5pm – a truly exciting and awe-inspiring event. This year’s creations were based around the theme of Once Upon a Time in the Land of Chocolate. – Award-winning musical Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, hosted the children’s area where little hands were only too happy to get messy with chocolate workshops. – Valrhona and Belle Epoque were hosting a dessert bar with four delicious patisserie creations made available throughout the show.
- Dedicated areas featured within the show including the bean to bar area with over 20 artisan bean to bar producers from around the world and the International Chocolate Awards area with top chocolate companies showcasing their award winning chocolates.
- Paul a Young made his famous brownies live at the show, served warm with a variety of toppings including his world award winning sea salted caramel sauce.
- The Tasting Room gave guests a chance to taste and learn about some of the world’s best chocolate.
- The Chocolatier, Rococo, Hotel Chocolat, Lauden, Magnum, Cocoa Runners and Divine were among the 80+ exhibitors taking part, offering many opportunities to shop for your chocolate cupboard.
We didn’t want you to miss out on the joy, so for all you chocolate lovers out there who couldn’t attend, we have included RACHEL KHOO’S GROWN UP CHOCOLATE PUDDING recipe to try. Let us know what you think. Enjoy!
FOR THE PUDDING
30g cornflour, 100g sugar, 400ml whole milk, 200ml double cream,
170g 70% Divine dark chocolate(cut into small pieces) , ½ tsp or 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
FOR THE PRALIN
50g mixed Fairtrade nuts, 75g sugar
- In a heatproof bowl measure out the cornflour, sugar, milk and double cream. Place over a pan of simmering water and heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring regularly. The mixture should start to thicken and coat the back of the spoon.
- Add the chocolate and salt and whisk it all together until the mixture is thick and glossy. Check the seasoning.
- Take off the heat and divide the mixture between 8 little glasses.
- Chill or eat hot, sprinkled with the crushed praline.
Roughly chop the nuts (eg, hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia, almonds, pecans). Toast in a dry pan on a high heat for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper.
Put the sugar and 25ml water into a large pan, heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then turn up to high. When the mixture starts to bubble and go golden, add the nuts and stir.
Once the sugar and nuts are a dark golden caramel, pour on to the tray and spread thinly with a knife (be quick as it sets fast).
Leave to cool then crush.
Haute Elan is the premier destination for luxury modest fashion housing the collections of over 150 designers and boutiques from across the world, uniting women through their common love of fashion and the elegant modest form. Shop the collections now at www.haute-elan.com.