This week we’re bringing you 60 seconds with Sanae Chakrouni. A week from the Netherlands, we love how the Dutch are taking the Modest fashion world by a storm. Check out Fashion_by_sen on Instagram!
“My favorites are the Audrey Hepburn skirts styles. I love vintage and the reason I wear vintage clothing is because it reminds me of the old times where everybody seemed to be fashionable and elegant”
2. Can you describe your blog? My blog Fashion_by_sen is inspired by the minimalist yet fresh blend of culture and faith. I like experiment with different fashion styles in my outfits. I love to communicate messages and speak through my choices of clothing that give an idea who I am and where I stand for. I am totally in love with skirts. My favorites are the Audrey Hepburn skirts styles. I love vintage and the reason I wear vintage clothing is because it reminds me of the old times where everybody seemed to be fashionable and elegant.
3. What is inspiring you to blog? I believe that fashion and style is unique to each individual. To me it means wearing what suits me and makes me feel and look good. It’s not necessarily following the latest trends, its more about being creative with different styles to show how diverse fashion can be. I use exactly that to express and portrait myself.
4. Is blogging your passion or just a hobby? Though fashion blogging is my full time passion and hobby and occupies most of my time I have a full time job as a governmental clerk.
5. Do you have a favourite designer? They are so many designers and everybody has his own style, it’s a good question but they’re so many designers who catch my heart personally. I don’t have a specific preference for just one designer. However I adore designers like Elie Saab, his dresses are simply gorgeous. I wish I had the closet of Vivienne Westwood when she was the stylist of the movie Sex and the City. One designer who really blows my mind is Ashi Studio from Lebanon. It’s timeless, modern and elegant, his designs seem to come straight out of a fairytale. It would be my wish to have one of those designs in my personal collection.
6. What is your favourite trend F/W 2015? I love the kimono-style trench coat trend this year. It’s something you can wear for the next 20 years, it’s timeless. I also love these silky soft, long and loose trenches that look like nightgowns but can easily be worn on the street if you have got the confidence for it. The other trend is the skirt layering/aprons.
And this trend is for the more daring fashionista: not all of us could rock two layers of skirts, the top one resembling an apron, without feeling uncomfortable wearing them. However, if you manage to pull it off, you’ll be the star of the show. And not to forget the trend shoes this year; furry shoes, color block, candy colored and lace-up heels. My favourites are the Burgundy-wine colored items, in any conceivable way. My favourite season is autumn because autumn based designs are more complex and lush than summer designs. You can layer and add more versatility to your ensembles. But even though autumn outfits is usually all about layering, there are always new trends to follow.
Recently I’ve been keen on the super high waist pants/jeans, they remind me of the 80’s which I adore. They enhance the body proportions in a different but classy way.
I don’t tend to follow the latest trends just because they are popular at the moment, I try to combine trends with my own view of style with different items, from cheap to expensive brands. Style isn’t made by the price tag but by the way it makes you feel, most important is that it has to make one feel comfortable regardless of the price.
7. Can you describe your personal style? My personal style is a mix of modern and classic, I don’t wear a specific style but I love to combine my Arabic roots in my personal style, that’s why I also designed my Moroccan Modern jackets, they can be found my blog on Instagram.
Our designs are often an expression of our spirit and character, so there is nothing wrong with finding a look that suits you and relying on it. I love skirts, especially the Audrey Hepburn kind of skirts. I think it’s important to feel comfortable with your own style and be confident about it. By knowing exactly what styles will accentuate your positive assets it will minimize your challenges and choices, you’ll gain a look and confidence that will give you a new outlook on life.
8. Who is your style icon? I get inspired by people around me on the streets, fashion magazines, art and fashion shows. But like I said before Audrey Hepburn is one of my style icons, her style is just flawless and contemporary, she is still one of a kind and still being admired for her style.
9. Do you have any fashion rules when putting together an outfit? When combining patterns, I tend to keep it color themed. And when you wear an all-black ensemble it will be best to accentuate it with something complementary like heavy jewelry. Go for one “statement” at a time. A kick-ass necklace with a simple outfit, a shirt with an amazing collar with a basic skirt, etc. Otherwise, it’s a lot of ‘look’. In the end, as it’s your taste and prerogative, but if your clothes fit well, and you’re confident, you’re golden.
10. What’s the biggest tip you have for anyone wanting to start a fashion blog or website? Be yourself and always be true to yourself. Let people know who you are and let them into your ‘world’.
11. What changes would you like to see in the modest fashion industry? The fashion industry is a big world with different areas. It’s not that I want to change something but add something to the fashion world. I miss the modestly dressed religious fashion. I’m glad we see more of these styles and designers. It’s an upcoming trend and I hope we still can see more here in Europe.
Haute Elan is the premier destination for luxury modest fashion housing the collections of over 150 designers and boutiques from across the world, uniting women through their common love of fashion and the elegant modest form. Shop the collections now at www.haute-elan.com.